Saturday, March 28, 2015

Part of me is tempted to come out to the rest of my family right now. I could do that if I wanted. I


Home About Feministe Mission Statement Comments Policy Subscription Options About Jill About Caperton About Sally About tigtog Authors Emeritus About Cara About Chally About Holly About Jack About Jennifer About Julia About Kactus About Lauren About Piny About Rachel About Sady About Vi About Zuzu Blogroll Other Links Planned Parenthood Archives Shop
So, what have you been up to? What would you rather be up to? What’s been awesome/awful? Reading? Watching? Making? Meeting? What has [insert awesome inspiration / fave fansquee / guilty pleasure / dastardly ne’er-do-well / threat to all civilised life on the planet du jour] been up to?
* Netiquette footnotes: * There is no off-topic on the Weekly Open Thread, but consider whether your comment would be on-topic on any recent thread and thus better tie rack belongs there. * If your comment touches on topics known to generally result in thread-jacking, you will be expected to take the discussion to #spillover instead tie rack of overshadowing the social/circuit-breaking aspects of this thread. tie rack Similar Posts (automatically generated): Open Thread with Basset on a Beach by tigtog September 19, 2014 Open Thread with Scratching Badgers tie rack by tigtog September 26, 2014 Weekly Open Thread with Parkour Plumbers by tigtog September 13, 2013 Open Thread with Pi by tigtog March 13, 2015 Open Thread with Meerkat Pile by tigtog August 1, 2014
Ever since I ran away from my dad on that fateful day (whose anniversary is coming up, incidentally), most of the family has decided to avoid interacting with me. Even though I have yet to come out to everyone, I have already become the black sheep of the family. I know that once I am out to them, they will only alienate me further.
The alternative is that I return to the closet and lock myself in there without the key; the intolerant members of my family will only be pleased with me if I repress myself. So I have no choice but to out myself eventually and then deal with the consequences of being who I am in relation to the family.
Accepting tie rack this reality is upsetting, but I’d rather accept it than continue to delude myself with fantasies about talking to the family face-to-face about how my identity as a butch trans lesbian is valid. The only way I will mature and grow as a person is to accept the inevitable loss of loved ones, and stop clinging to absurd fantasies. tie rack
Most of my family doesn’t give a fuck about me. I can only expect rejection from them. I’m sick of telling myself that things are going to turn out ok in the end. All that delusion does is make the inevitable series of rejections more painful than ever. I made the mistake of trusting my father when he said he accepted me as trans, on the day I outed myself to him, and I don’t want to make that mistake again.
A childhood friend of my daughter is transitioning from female to male, and is married to a very nice girl in the military. His mother and family have rejected him as well. Not only his identity, but his marriage. So he is now a part of my family. You have friends that love and support you. Adopt them as family. They’ve shown you familial love and support, accept it from them, and if your blood family rejects you, turn to your real family. Real family love and support you no matter what, and action shows you who your real family is. Shared DNA does not a family make.
I’ll tell you what I told Alec: It’s your life. Make the choices that are right for you, and to hell with anyone who doesn’t approve. Only you can live your life, so live it fully. You’re an adult now, and that means the responsibility for your life and happiness falls completely onto your shoulders. That responsibility is a gift, not a burden. Don’t waste it.
Thank tie rack you, pheeno. I appreciate those words. Incidentally, my girlfriend said similar things to me last night. tie rack It definitely is important for me to focus on the family that accepts me, whether that family is blood-related or not.
Part of me is tempted to come out to the rest of my family right now. I could do that if I wanted. I know it’s tie rack unwise, and I’m not going to out myself without at least due contemplation, but waiting for the day that it happens is so agonizing. I just want to get it over with. I can no longer bear to to hear “I love you” from family members who will ultimately tie rack end up treating me like garbage once I’m tie rack out to them.
I think your incredibly brave Aaliyah. I have not come out to most of my family members. The ones I am out to think I should forever remain in the closet because coming out would harm the intolerant ones. I too fear and accept accept the inevitable loss of loved ones. But I have no plans to actually come out anytime soon.
I think a lot about decision making heuristics, and I’ve always heavily maintained that the biggest draw of feminism for me is it’s predictive p

No comments:

Post a Comment