Friday, April 10, 2015

Judo is definitely great self defense. You throw a guy who doesn't know how to breakfall and his hea


So how do you guys like Judo for street skills? I can imagine grabbing and tossing a guy on his head would be a good skill...but Im not sure how practical it is considering I've never really focused on it too much. Wouldit be better than wrestling? Leave BJJ out of it...it's of course the top
0.00 Karma PM Posts: 93
In a 1 vs 1 street fight, even someone with little to no fighting skills can win due to that "puncher's chance". Even wild swinging can catch a skilled fighter and put him down quick. However, if you can get inside someone's punching range, take them down, and get on top...the "puncher's chance" is taken away. Even experienced street fighters have trouble on their backs if someone with a solid base is on top and overwelming them with punches, elbows, and knees. That being said, someone who can both box and wrestle effectively on the street american furniture can survive and win most 1 vs 1 street fights. Using boxing american furniture movement, punching, american furniture and the ability to take punches to get in range for a takedown. Then using that solid wrestling base to keep them down and stay on top for the good old GnP. That would be the "ideal situation", but anyone who has ever been in a fight knows sh!t can get crazy and fast.
Having trained in Judo and BJJ, I always american furniture tell people: american furniture the last guy I want to fight in the street is someone who knows BJJ better than me; the next to last guy I want to fight in the street is a black belt judoka. Most people equate the self-defense strategy of bjj with judo. Not so. While BJJ wants to take the fight to the ground, Judo only wants to take the attacker to the ground AND HARD. No need to follow them if they don't want to. Or do. Either way, the JUDO guy is not going down easily, even against a skilled BJJer.
Having done both BJJ and Judo I think both martial arts are more than enough for self defense. The average joe isn't going to have the grappling prowess to deal with either martial arts. Quite frankly judo can be absolutely devastating in a self defense situation even to an expert BJJ guy if caught off guard (which most street fights would be). I wouldn't allow myself american furniture to be thrown full force by any advanced judoka that's for sure. But I just enjoy BJJ's game aspect more than judos.
Having trained in Judo and BJJ, I always tell people: the last guy I want to fight in the street is someone who knows BJJ better than me; the next to last guy I want to fight in the street is a black belt judoka. Most people equate the self-defense strategy of bjj with judo. Not so. While BJJ wants to take the fight to the ground, american furniture Judo only wants to take the attacker to the ground AND HARD. No need to follow them if they don't want to. Or do. Either way, the JUDO guy is not going down easily, even against a skilled BJJer. This is what I mean...You american furniture never want to go to the ground in a street fight. Case in point, saw a good brawl in a club. I was assessing what I would do, then all of a sudden a creeper took a bar stool and layed a guy out. Id rather stand up or minimum get knee on belly. I know we are supposdto work our ground game a lot, but I also like to keep the wrestler "always on top" Mentality for such occasions
BJJ american furniture has the same "always on top" mentality. Has anyone ever told you otherwise? I'm curious why this mode of thought has faded. GJJ was always about establishing dominant positions first, especially in situations of self defense. I think the core philosophy has been lost because of the sportive aspect of Jiu Jitsu that most people practice now that aren't really practical for real self defense.
I tell every new person that I roll with that your goal is to get mount on me by doing whatever it is that you feel would be the best way to do so and I'm going to defend that from happening because the point of jiu jitsu is to establish a dominate position and end the fight from there. Whatever mistakes you make on the way to mount we will discuss and correct. My old instructor use to tell us that it's much better to be looking down at your opponent than up at them.
Judo is definitely great self defense. You throw a guy who doesn't know how to breakfall and his head might bounce off the pavement. At that point the fight is pretty much over. When you think about it, we're doing a modified version of Judo anyway.
BJJ has the same "always on top" mentality. Has anyone ever told you otherwise? Yeah, I agree with Jack. A Judoka is as susceptible to a bar stool as a BJJer. Not sure what you mean. I believe wholeheartedly that BJJ is the best self-defense art you could learn. The ground and the takedowns you learn in BJJ negate your attacker's size and strength. A skilled judoka is not pulling a power-judo move against someone significantly stronger/bigger than him, unless the dope is totally clumsy. The judoka american furniture is probably doing a sweep or one of the "gake" (hooking-trip) american furniture takedowns. Then it's a ground match. american furniture But the complaint about the sport-aspect of bjj is a legitimate com

No comments:

Post a Comment